About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Whose needs are more important?

Sorry I have been quiet for a while.  Lots of life happening as usual.  I will explain that in another post, but for now, I wanted to share something that has been on my heart.
I have discussed before how you may feel trapped into homeschooling, and there are times when there is no other good alternative. Generally, this is when mom is healthy and the schools are just awful. But what about when mom is suffering to the point of exhaustion, depression, or even worse?
I have heard people tout homeschooling as always the best option, but I don’t believe that is so. Some say the worst homeschool situation is still better than the best public school. A mentally unhealthy or unstable mother is not best for her family. Depression does affect children, and what do we want our children to remember ? Depressed mothers tend to be more irritable and often want to be left alone. On top of this, they may heap guilt on themselves for doing a bad job at educating their children and neglecting household duties and fun activities with them. How can this be a good situation? At school, children can meet new friends and have fantastic teachers.
It greatly saddens me to see mother’s like this. I was this mom at one point. I have met many in real life and online. Often it is moms of many children. We do not have to be super mom. We do not need to find our worth in homeschooling. Homeschooling until you are dying on the inside is not a badge of good mothering. Extend yourself some grace and reach for a life preserver even if it be school for now.

11-17-11-034

No comments:

Post a Comment