About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Which is harder–homeschooling or brick and mortar school?

On the surface, homeschooling appears to be the harder choice. All of the lesson planning, implementing, discipline issues—in fact every single thing about your child’s education you are responsible for. It is a lot on anyone’s shoulders and not for the faint of heart. But after one has settled into the routine of homeschooling, is it really the harder choice for most people? I know for me, homeschooling was my comfy spot. I knew it because I had lived it so long. I was a pro at coming up with lesson plans and schedules. Brick and mortar school has become the harder choice for me at the time. There are several reasons I think this is so. If you are struggling with the choice to send your child to school or not, you may see a lot of similarities here.
038

  1. Giving up control and trust someone else.  You won’t know everything your child is doing all of the time, who they are interacting with, what they are hearing/seeing, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Former control freak that I am, I had a big problem with this. I have gotten so much better, though.   Kids are resilient and can learn to feel responsible and independent without us always there for them.
  2. You aren’t the one solely responsible for their education. This goes along with the first one as well, but I had a hard time stepping back and taking a parental role. I had to sometimes clamp my mouth shut when I encountered mindless assignments that I felt were a waste of time. It really helped for me to read about letting my child be independent in his homework.
  3. Your child will encounter junk. No way around it. BUT they will encounter that among homeschooled children as well. I used to think we were safe with homeschooled children. Not so. Everyone has different standards as to what their children watch and listen to, and it will creep in. It was hard for me to allow this to happen (because I knew it would be more so in school), but it has prompted lots of good discussions. I am glad we are able to walk them through it now before they go off to college.
  4. You will have less time with them. I was very concerned about this at first because I wanted my children to be close. But I have found that the time we are together is so much better now because absence does make the heart grow fonder.
  5. Your schedule will change. Gone are the mornings of sleeping in, forfeiting school for a field trip, or taking a week of vacation in the middle of the year. It was an adjustment and a pain at times, but we have adapted.
School has solved several problems for me and quite worth it for us. But that doesn’t mean we have made an easy choice or that I gave up. It is just traded for other issues, and it is for each of us to decide which we can live with. For me, my sanity as a mother outranked everything else.

1 comment:



  1. Debbie says: May 6, 2015 at 7:14 pm

    I’m so glad I found this blog! I’ve been homeschooling for 5 years. The other day I resized my youngest is only 5, I’d have 13 more years if I schooled them all the way through! It’s good to find encouragement for the choice of sending them to school

    ReplyDelete