About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Tis the season…to be thinking about school options

Spring is the season in which homeschoolers tend to begin thinking about the coming school year.  Moms comb through curriculum catalogs, scour internet message boards to find the latest and greatest ideas for their new homeschool year.  For many, this planning is a means of helping them pull through burnout or a respite after making it through that burnout.  But for some, they don’t make it through the burnout, and spring, with its beautiful weather did not blow in new enthusiasm or sprout fresh solutions to the problems that still hold them trapped in the never ending winter doldrums.  Is this you, mom? You know you might need a change for your family, but maybe the what if’s in your mind’s eye are piling up like laundry in a large family.  Making changes for our families can be very scary especially if you have believed for a long time that homeschooling is THE best or only option.  I know because I was there.  It was agonizing making the choice to send my children to school.  I had a hard time finding support and stories of other moms who had made that change.  I needed to know what to expect. That is why I am writing a new ebook on deciding to send them to school.  This book will be a less personal narrative than my first ebook, Letting Them Go…to SchoolIt will explain fears you may have, benefits to school that you may not have realized, and some ideas on how to go about making the decision.  Included will be questions for you to reflect on as you are making the decision.  Look for it in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Rose says: April 6, 2015 at 12:13 am

    Thank you! I really needed to read this today. Since for so long I have believed that homeschooling was the best option, it is difficult for me to let go, even though I really know I shouldn’t do it anymore. There are also several people close to me that believe that homeschooling, while not the only option, is the best option if the mother is willing to do it. But I’m starting to think that the issue is not quite so simple. There are a lot of factors involved, some of which are beyond a mom’s control. I have talked to an adult who was homeschooled along with her six siblings and she remembers her mother going through a lot of difficult times due to burnout. I also know that some children tend to behave better for teachers than for their own mothers. Another possible side effect of the pressures of homeschooling many children is the recent unschooling movement. While I am sure some people truly believe in it, could it be for some an easy way out of dealing with either homeschooling or school? Just pondering…

    ReplyDelete