About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Dyslexia

I know I have been quiet most of the month.  That is because it is February.  February is typically hard for people, homeschoolers and others alike.  My 9 year old daughter is really struggling in school.  (this is her first year) Although they are making accommodations, the change in environments has been great.  I have done a lot of research and reading on dyslexia and how best to help her.  I thought I might share some of my findings because this is such a common learning disability:  1 in 5 people are dyslexic.  Many are very mild cases, and thus go undiagnosed.  My daughter is on the border of moderate and severe and it affects so much more than just reading.  Besides all of the language arts areas, it affects math, geography, handwriting, reading sheet music, organization skills, attention, and even social skills.
So, let me share with you a few of the sites I gleaned info from.
This first site is called Learning Abled Kids, and it is for kids with many learning disabilities.  There is a lot of good information on many things, and although it is geared towards homeschooling, she does discuss working with the school districts, IEP, and more.
Dyslexic advantage has a good online test if you suspect dyslexia.  Although not a formal diagnostic tool, it may give you some insights to your suspicions.  It also has great information on how it affects like in each subject as well as socially and emotionally.
This math you tube video is a godsend.  It is called multiplication lattice.  It has helped my daughter tremendously to organize her double digit multiplication.
My audio school has tons of free audio books which are great for dyslexics.  I know some people can’t afford a subscription to Learning Ally, but this is a good alternative.
Homeschooling with dyslexia is a treasure trove of helpful links and facts about dyslexia, especially for homeschoolers.  I especially appreciated the dyslexia simulations, called Experience Dyslexia so others could see how it feels to be dyslexic.


I’m looking forward to spring.
Thanksgiving-083

No comments:

Post a Comment