About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

14 things I learned in 2014

Today, I am linking up with Emily at Chatting at the sky.  Please feel free to add your link on what you learned in 2014.
pic 12142014 007

As this year comes to a close, I am reflecting on what I have learned this past year. Unlike some of my other years, this one has been less dramatic, but much change, some pain, and a lot of joy. For many years, my life was status quo, with little change in dynamics other than a new baby every other year. Now that the family size is stable, there hasn’t been much rhythm other than bumpy with lots of life alterations. Much of this adjusting was not sought, but it was needed for growth. So, here are 14 things I learned this year in no particular order.
  1. I am addicted to productivity. Being without my job of homeschooling mom, I found myself with a lot of down time. I have felt the tug of proving my worth by being productive. At times, just being a mom has felt so less than.
  2. Since I homeschooled so long, and had a large family, I didn’t realize how much I crave quiet and alone time until I put my children in school. I am a much better mother when I am rested and have been alone. My soul is tired, and the quiet solitude is just what I need.
  3. October marked the 1 year anniversary of the death of my father. I discovered I miss him so much more than I ever imagined I would. I thought this passage would be less painful since he didn’t live close and I only saw him a few times a year, but I was wrong. Thus I have learned how visiting family is so important. You don’t know how long you have them.
  4. In June, I celebrated 25 years of marriage. That same month, God blessed us with a pregnancy as a 25th gift, only to lose him in July. I learned that even though the odds say it is almost impossible for a 48 year old woman to get pregnant on her own, nothing is impossible with God.
  5. As a child, I devoured fiction books. Once I became a mother, I changed genre to non-fiction. When I began homeschooling, I once again read fiction aloud to my children. But I rarely read fiction for myself. This year I began picking it up again and realize how important it is to adults as well. It feeds ones soul and nourishes creativity unlike any non-fiction book can.
  6. I learned how to write, publish, and market an eBook! It was so exciting to go through the process that I may have to do it again.
  7. Along with my eBook, Letting them go to school, I set up my own website this year. There is a lot to managing your own website, but it has been such a growing experience.
  8. After watching the Titanic, I became interested in social classes and have been reading up on it. I am amazed at how people looked down upon others so easily based on something so silly, but I know we still have a ways to go as a society. All people have value because they are made in God’s image.
  9. With my free time this fall, I found I love to decorate my house, especially refinishing items and making crafty things.
  10. I learned playing in the rain is good soul therapy.
  11. Normally, I am not a beach person. I can’t stand the amount of work there is packing, washing, sand in the everything, but this fall during my 31 day challenge, I went to the beach. Alone. I found that it was very soothing to my mind, body, and soul, and that I am brave enough to go 3 hours alone.
  12. One very important lesson I have been learning over a number of years is moderation. I have tended to the extreme in many things in the past so I am seeking a middle ground of moderation in everything from parenting, schooling, eating, exercising, and entertainment.
  13. For years I have had a vegetable garden. I love the fresh taste of home grown veggies, but I am finding that I really only enjoy the work when I need time alone or when I am stressed. Something about digging in the earth appeases a frantic mood, but now that I have more quiet time, I am finding that I don’t need the gardening for that reason. I will probably still continue to do it on a smaller scale, but I won’t need to rely on it like I once did.
  14. This has really been a year of enlightenment for me in the parenting arena. I have questioned many of the things I have done in the past, my successes and my failures have been through a full evaluation. I notice from this thinking, and reading to an extent, have formed a new way of thinking about parenting and children which is very different from how I began as a parent. I think that is a good thing, to grow and admit what didn’t work and change things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment