About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Pros and cons of private school

Since some people are in a time of discernment regarding schooling options, I thought it might be an optimum time to discuss different schooling options.  I am beginning with private school because that is the one we have chosen for our children for now, and thus the one I have the most experience with (besides homeschooling).  This fall, I will no longer be homeschooling any children; we decided to send our youngest child (who is dyslexic) to the private school as well mostly because she was lonely.



Pros

1. Small class size.  This is really important to me because my children are quite shy so I figured going from homeschool to school would be easier to manage if the classes were smaller.  Some people may have this benefit with public schools if they live in a small community.

2. Smaller number of schools.  For my big family, this is important.  I have 5 children with them in 2 different schools.  If they were in public schools, we would have a third school thrown in.

3. Religious aspect.  One reason we had homeschooled was because we wanted to focus on religion and prayer.  Since this is a religious private school, they pray several times a day and have religion as a subject.

4. Academic excellence.  Not all private schools are known for this, but the one we use is.  It also uses a Classical approach to academics which we really like.

5. Tight knit school community. Again, this is possible with a public school, but because this school is small, the parents and families get to know each other.

6. Other opportunities.  This also is not exclusive to private schools, but it is a plus for sure.  Things like sports, music, clubs, art, and science labs.

7. Uniforms.  This has been helpful to us because it has simplified their wardrobe.

Cons

1. Expensive.  Since public school is free most private schools will be a bigger expense.  (I will be doing a post soon on how to make it manageable.

2. Vaccinations.  Where I live, you can get an exemption from vaccines for public school but not for private school.

3. Travel.  Most private schools aren't just down the street.  We drive 20 minutes each way to school.

4. Service hours.  A lot of private schools require this of parents.  For someone like me, it isn't a big deal because I do not work outside of the home.

These are the pros and cons off the top of my head.  If you have others, please share in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this information with my wife and I, we were considering of sending our sons to private school but as you mentioned it is a costly affair. I just think the education you get at a private facility always surpasses that of government schools. Thank you again for this informative blog it will make our decision easier.

    Denise @ St. Mary's School

    ReplyDelete