About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Reasons people quit homeschooling: Burnout


Just as there are many reasons why people begin homeschooling, there are varied reasons to end the homeschooling journey.  In the coming weeks, I am going to be blogging about some of the motives for putting children into school, whether it is private or public. 

The first reason I want to explore is putting children into school because of burnout on the mom’s part. This is one of the main reasons that I put my children in school.  Many times during my homeschooling career I would experience burnout.  But with a few simple changes and breaks things would turn around for us, and I would be fine for a while.  I came to the point, however, where it wouldn’t go away—no long break, change of curriculum, changing the schedule, getting a bit of time alone, etc. made it go away.  I had hit the point of depression.  Not all burnout leads to depression but things may still not improve with the typical helps and cause you to question your choice.  That can be a sign it is time for a change. 

 I have noticed on many forums and email lists that this is the advice for burnout even for the debilitating burnout that I experienced.  I really believe this can be detrimental to the mom, children, or whole family. Some moms reach a point where they lose their patience continuously, crumble into tears for minor issues, try to get away as much as they can, dread facing another day, and feel trapped.  If you are at the point where nothing is working to cure burnout, it may be time for a complete change such as putting children into school.  The nice thing about this change is it is not permanent.  You may only need a year or two to come out of your funk and be able to return to homeschooling.  Or you may find, like I have, that school is a wonderful option for your family, and your children thrive there. 

Burnout is not a failure on your part as a homeschooling mother.  You are human and deserve a rest if that is what is needed.  School is not the big evil that many homeschoolers say it is.  School can be an answer to your burnout. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for making the effort to write this blog. I have been greatly encouraged and I look forward to reading more on the reason why people stop homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita, So glad you stopped by. I am glad you have been encouraged. Feel free to share .

    ReplyDelete