About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mixing causes with homeschooling

Most of you have probably heard of the stereotypical homeschool mother---the one who wears a denim jumper, has half a dozen kids (or more)hanging off her skirts, raises her own food, and runs a home business.  What once was just an educational option has turned in to a movement with many commonalities of causes.  Once women begin homeschooling, many feel the need to do other things a different way.  We begin to question a lot of things.    Besides the previous mentioned ones do any of these ring a bell--home birth, breastfeed on demand with child-led weaning, dad work from home, create your own curriculum, have as many kids as God sends, cloth diapers, hang you laundry to dry, live off grid, shun movies, sports, and the like, don't vaccinate, alternative medicine, a distrust of any institution, etc.  Now none of these things are bad in and of themselves.  The problem I see is that many women feel they have to live up to some ideal homeschooling mom.  They want to be the best at everything and can get worn out trying to do too much. I know because it happened to me.  I felt like I had to watch everything my children ate, wore, and came in contact with.  I spent a lot of time and money  researching organic food, birthing options, curriculum methods, and alternative medicines.  I rarely did anything else in my free time because I was analyzing every little thing.  Luckily, I didn't jump on the extreme Biblical Patriarchy bandwagon, which has done a lot of damage within the homeschooling community.  This group is a perfect example of mixing causes and dangers it can lead to. 


Homeschooling is a form of education.  Yes, it is a lifestyle as well, but we don't all have to jump into other causes thinking it is compulsory.  Do what feels right for your family and personality as well as what you can handle emotionally and spiritually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment