About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

How to stay connected with your child in school

As homeschooling moms, we spend a lot of time with our children. But once children go to school, that time is limited.  What I have found though, is that I am more refreshed when they are home.  When I homeschooled them all, I was exhausted by the time I was done schooling 5 children and wanted nothing more to do with them because of my introverted personality and depression.  So the time I spent with them was not quality time.  They were in the home with me but I didn't spend a lot of time doing extra things that they liked.  Now that they are in school, I have been mindful to come up with ways to spend quality time with them so we stay connected.  If your children are in school, and you have others, please share in the comments.

(my son playing catcher- I was really cheering him on!)

1.  We live a good distance from the school.  It is a 20 minute drive each way.  I don't take them to school, but on the way home, I have one school going child sit in the front seat and allow them to talk about their day as much as they want.  I try to ask engaging questions.  Once that child is done, I let the other children share briefly what they want.  Each day we rotate children in the front seat so they get time for a longer discussion. 

2. Evening when we are home, I have a dinner helper.  I did this when we homeschooled, and they like it.  That person gets to help me prepare dinner, and we chat. 

3.  Weekend time.  We try to do things at least once as a family either a game night or movie night.  Once a month, we try to take a child out alone for some fun time

4.  Each night after dinner and dishes, we clear the table for homework time.  I only help when asked so they develop independence, but I try to look at what they are doing and ask questions.  I want them to know I care about their education.

5.  I am their cheerleader.  I attend as many school functions as I can and cheer them on be it sports, drama, singing, or whatever.  They love that I watch them, and we enjoy discussing it together. 

6.  I volunteer at school when I can.  My children love when I come help with parties, be a teacher's helper, or go on a field trip with their class.  I really enjoy watching them interact with the other kids

2 comments:

  1. I am finding that I am still very involved in the education of the 3 at school. I see myself as a teacher/tutor. I fill the gaps the teachers can't do because they just can't due to time and class sizes.

    I like to ask them how to best help my child. I figure they have a lot more experience than I in education and I have a lot more experience of my child.

    So far I am doing a spelling program at home with my year 6 child, and I am adding on doing phonics with my kindy kid as the teacher isn't quite up to it but I think it will build his confidence quicker. In the case of my year 6 child we even sat down together to talk through potential programs and I got her professional input. I figure that then my kids will know I am still interested and want to help them, I also know where they are at more than just when I get end of semester report cards.

    Sorry I haven't been by for a while. Just as you recommended in a previous post I have found something just for me. I am studying towards my degree in Architecture. It is a good time in my life to study online and it works with my lifestyle right now. I hope to keep studying my own interests even when I bring the kids home again.

    Best wishes
    Jen in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    That is wonderful you are studying something for you! I hope it goes well.
    Your involvement in your children's education is what makes school successful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete