About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Hobbies

Since sending some of my children to school, I have had some down time, a space to fill.  One thing recommended for those suffering from depression or loss is to explore new hobbies or rekindle old ones.  This has been a foreign experience for me because my children and specifically homeschooling have been my job and my hobby.  What I faced with mounting depression a few years back was an increase in anxiety over my children's well-being both emotionally and educationally.  This manifested itself in compulsive searching for the best in everything, particularly homeschooling supplies and methods.  I constantly scoured books, message boards, and blogs for answers to my questions.  Homeschool research became my hobby. 
Now that they are mostly in school, I have a big whole to fill.  Thankfully, a few years ago I was able to kick the habit of homeschool searching and found a few things I was interested in.  For one, I began to write again, a love I have had since childhood.  Also, I am finally spending more time outside, particularly in my garden.
 You may face the same thing if you decide to put your children in school, or if you continue to homeschool all the way through graduation, you will face this when your children leave home.  Either way, you will need to have a life outside of homeschooling.  Your kids need to see who you are besides their cook and cleaner. 
I know for myself, I have felt overwhelmed with wondering what can I do.  Try a few of these ideas and share any more you have tried. 



1.  What did you do before you had children that you really loved?  Is it a possibility to take it up again?

2. Consider volunteer work at a local crisis pregnancy center, at your child's school, a hospital or nursing home, or your church.

3. Consider trying something you have never tried before.  A few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:  gardening, baking, photography, dancing, knitting, quilting, soap making, bee keeping.

4. Join a hobby based group such as a knitting group, a photography club, a community garden, or a dance club.

5. Try to find someone to join you if possible (spouse or friend) because having a person doing it with you is always a source of motivation.

What are some things you have tried?

No comments:

Post a Comment