About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Brain chatter


Do you ever feel like your mind is on auto pilot with thoughts—generally negative ones that chide your every parenting decision?  I have often had this brain chatter, and I used to not know how to hit the pause button and shuffle to a new number. 

SquirrelSquirrel

Moms tend to be their own worst critic using a standard we would never use on a good friend, spouse, child, or even stranger.  Why is that?  Doesn’t our Lord say to love thy neighbor as thyself?  How can we love to ourselves when we are constantly playing a tape of negativity and criticism in our head?  If you have this problem, you need to find a way to change this and be kind to yourself.

 

So, what have I done to replay the right track in my brain so I don’t get derailed and down on myself?  I am not great at this yet but am improving.

 

1.        Tell yourself daily that you are human and make mistakes but it is ok.  Everyone is in this same place.  God doesn’t expect perfection just our love.

2.       When you do make a mistake, quickly forgive yourself and make amends if it is appropriate then let it go.  No rehashing.

3.       Replace your negative thoughts with positive thoughts mainly from God’s word.  I love Norman Vincent Peale’s books for finding what he calls thought conditioners. 

4.       Start a gratitude journal.  Each evening list 5 things you are thankful for and 5 positive thoughts you had about yourself.

5.       Let go of perfectionism.  You aren’t expected to do it all.  That may hurt your pride a bit, but it is true.  God does not expect you to kill yourself to educate your children (or to do anything else for them).

How do you deal with the brain chatter in your head?

1 comment:

  1. That is a good way to describe my internal radio some days. I find focusing on something worthwhile helps, like cleaning a bath or hanging washing and just being in the moment knowing that at the moment I am doing something good. Cleaning is often meditation for me.

    ReplyDelete