About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

No guarantees

Over on the Well-Trained Mind forum, there was a discussion about a mom regretting putting her children into public school.  I replied to this thread saying that there are no guarantees.  That reminded me of how much this fact has been drilled into me like a pie in the face---err, embarrassing. 

This mother felt bad that her child had fallen into the wrong crowd and experimented with drugs, alcohol, sex, extreme disrespect, etc.  She blames school on these problems.  Of course as mothers, we always look for ways we could have done something differently.  We hate to see our children hurt and get involved in questionable activities.  It is natural to try and find answers and lay blame.   But sad to say, there are no guarantees. 



Homeschooling is not your stamp for a get-it-right-life, and neither is sending them to private or public school.  You can be the best parent, prepare them with the best methods, be super involved in their life, and they can still turn away.  They have free will and fallen human nature.  They may make choices that we don't agree with or approve of.  Or maybe they won't.  I have seen in the same family, raised with the same standards, one child choose the path their parents would take and another child choose a life of immorality. 

This is a discouraging thought!  We invest many hours in our children, and we may lose them to the world!  Remember, though, that our perfect Savior lost an apostle and many disciples couldn't or wouldn't follow Him.

So why are we doing this?  Why bother?  We are planting seeds that one day we hope to see grow.  Just because they may be following the world right now doesn't mean they won't come back.  Now is not forever.  Our ways (and timetables) are not God's.  He has very different timing than we moms do.  We also have the guarantee of God's word that all things work together for good for those who love God.  Hold onto that promise.  I have come to the point of accepting that I might not see it in this life, and my son may not repent until his deathbed when I wouldn't be able to notice.  But God's got this like everything else.  He may use all of this for something very unique, and we can be sure He will use these tough things our kids may face to grow them into something beautiful. 

2 comments:

  1. My whole life was wrapped around my family. Always. I could write a long epistle here and share some sad stuff. My children are grown now. I have grandkids. But my children don't follow the Lord as I had always hoped. I love them all dearly, but I don't always agree with their personal life choices. I will say that we were very active in our spiritual lives as they were growing up, and did really well until as teenagers they started making some hard choices for themselves with friends and activities, and hiding things from me.

    The point here though is something the Lord shared with me. He reminded me of the verses Romans 8:38-39 - 38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

    His promise to me was that my household would be saved, would know Him. I do feel like a failure and that I wasted my life from time to time. Those thoughts can attack out of no where. I must remember what His word says about me, that I am loved, valued and a highly honored daughter of the King. It isn't always easy, but I either choose to trust His promise to save my household, or not. I choose to trust Him. And if this is His promise to me, it is His promise to others. I look forward to the day that He reveals His purposes in all this. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,

    thanks for sharing. What a beautiful reminder. Yes, HE is the one in charge with the results.

    ReplyDelete