About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Ideas for the winter/spring blues: March

In January and February,  I have shared some ideas for helping curb the winter blues we often experiences as homeschoolers.  This month's format is a bit different as it focuses on just one area for both mom and child(ren). 



As February draws to a close, I hope that March blows the funk and burnout away that so many of us experience this time of year as homeschool families.  My hope for you is that the weather is or will soon be warming up which always makes for easier school days. 

This month I want to share with you a wonderful activity I discovered last year.  It is art journaling.  Basically, the idea is to create art and journal it, but it is more than that.  Many who art journal like to collect “words” from various sources like magazines, junk mail, newspapers, invitations, movie tickets, stickers, and more.  Art journaling can be very healing and therapeutic, and you can let your mood create the atmosphere of your picture. 

Many mediums can be used from water color, pastels, collage (with a combination of paint and magazine/newsprint), and pencils. I find heavy duty water color paper best for this as it holds up well to water color and glue it doing collages.   I suggest doing this 4 weeks in a row as a start and then adding to it when you want.  We made a cover for it out of heavy duty cardboard that we decorated and add the pictures as we do them with a large rubber band to bind them. 
 
 
 
* This is a page from my journal. 

Moms, this is such a lovely experience even for you.  I tend to create pictures when life is throwing me some curve balls, and I find such stress relief from it.  And I am not talented in this area, but I love to dabble with journaling.  So, do this for yourself but do it for your children too.  It started out as a family project for us then moved to one I did alone many times.  I have created a whole art journal for myself that I love to flip through. 
If you and your children decide to try art journaling, send me a link in the comments.  I would love to see them. 
           

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely, thoughtful post about art journaling! Thank you for mentioning Daisy Yellow, I'm honored!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Daisy Yellow. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea (and image!). My husband gave me colored pencils and a small journal for Christmas.......now I need to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, The Orderlies. I love art journaling.

    ReplyDelete