About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Homeschooling and school: A foot in both worlds

Today I am linking up at Simple Homeschool for the day in the life series. 

For 2 1/2 years, I have had a foot in both schooling worlds:  First with one high school student in private school, and now I have 3 more in school.  That leaves just my 8 year old at home.  It has been very strange  how my homeschool has changed over the years.  At one point, I had 6 homeschooled students with a toddler in tow, and now I am down to just 1 child. 



I have always been an eclectic homeschooler, and now that I just have one child to homeschool, I am able to do more projects with her.  This is good because this child struggles academically. We are possibly dealing with dyslexia, so a lot of things are a struggle. 

After getting my 4 oldest off to school at 7 AM, I usually wake her around 7:30.  We spend an hour or so on language arts activities that includes reading, spelling, phonics, and writing.  I usually break this up into 2 sessions because it is intense.  Of course daily we do math, and she is doing a computer based program and is mostly self-sufficient with it.  We alternate history and science so that we are doing history on Mondays and Wednesdays and science on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Friday is our lighter day, and we do art, music, or nature study.  The highlight of our day is our read a loud time.  We both love this time together.

Right now, this schooling situation is working for our family.  I have finally been able to see that homeschooling is not always the best for every member of the family.  Coming soon, I will share ways to prepare your students if they are going to school after homeschooling.

1 comment: