About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Common misunderstandings about children going to school part 2

Last week I shared a few common misunderstandings about children going to a brick and mortar school, and how I once believed these. Having children in school and homeschooling for 18 years, I have seen and experienced a lot and sadly been humbled a lot. As a young homeschooling mother, I thought I had it all figured out. My recipe for raising children was going to produce the best! But I have found, after years of teaching, there are many recipes for raising and educating children that work just as well and these misconceptions are just that.



  6. Children in school are not socialized as well because they spend all of their time with those of the same age. Although they do spend a lot of time with children their own age, they spend time dealing with different teachers and children who may be difficult to deal with or have very different beliefs. My experience has shown me that homeschool children can play and act well with a variety of ages including adults but most are limited to dealing with those almost exactly like them. That can be problematic for children who don’t deal with frustrations easily. I have several children who think life should always go their way. Homeschooling made life easier for them, but I am not so sure that easy is a good thing for them because they don’t do well when things are difficult. Two of these children are now in school and learning to deal with those daily little irritations.

  7. School will hurt the parent child relationship, and they will not be as respectful and obedient to you if in school. I always imagined (and heard) that homeschool children were more obedient and respectful to their parents. In many cases this is true. A few of my children were this way. Some children, however, have a difficult time being accountable to just their parents, mom in particular. Posting on forum boards through the years, I read that school would ruin the parent/child relationship, and that it would not improve their attitude towards me. In my experience, that has been a big falsehood. My children’s attitude towards school has greatly improved, and they do their work when I tell them.

  8. Children in school will not love to learn. School has not made my children love to learn but neither did homeschooling. My children enjoyed certain things about homeschooling (like science experiments and reading aloud), but most of it was work, and they didn’t like to work. Same thing with school. They like parts of it but not all. Children in both situations will like certain things but not others.

9. School is a one size fits all, and therefore they will not be able to learn as well or as easily. While it is true that you can tailor your homeschool to fit your children’s learning style, most children can learn the way things are taught at school. Always fitting the curriculum to the child could possibly hamper them if they ever go to school whether that be a public school or when they go to college. College professors won’t care if your child is an auditory or visual learner but will just expect them to do the work.

3 comments:

  1. You make a great point regarding learning. It can be easy to be led by the carrot of love of learning without realizing one is slowly chipping away at the other essential components of learning- self-discipline and long term vision. Not everything we learn will "feel good." I think there is a balance between over challenging and over supporting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am realising some of these points too. I think homeschooling my children was also ironically making my life too easy. I could have a day or two off just because I felt like it and call it unschooling or free learning. We also got up late, stayed up late, and dawdled a lot. Sure, it did make those days when I had a young one still napping easier to fit around their schedule. But now, with them all over 5 years old some structure is greatly appreciated. We could all do with learning to move faster and more efficiently, work more and play less, so that we are living a life filled with value and meaning. Thanks for sharing your points.

    Best wishes
    Jen in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so encouraging. In this generation, we are dealing with children who have been coddled much through life and don't know how to rise to the challenge of hard work and difficulty. Your point about individualized learning not mattering once they get to college is so true. While we can customize our children's education, the world simply won't if they are not prepared for what they need to know to function in society.

    ReplyDelete