About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Review: Let it Go

This post contains affiliate ads.

As I mention in my ebook (almost done!), I am a bit of a control freak mom. Slowly over the years, God has pried my fingers from the steering wheel of control. I am learning to acknowledge that I only have control over one thing and that is myself. I also am being challenged to trust Him with everything dear and precious to me---my family. Recently, I won a book in a giveaway, and it has changed the way I look at many things. The book is all about control.   






In this book, Karen Ehman discusses how moms tend to have a controlling nature about them simply because of being a mom. We are in charge of many little duties so we can become controlling by default. Many of us, want our way if we get right to it. She says we can become domestic dictators if we are not careful. Ouch! She discusses how we manage our man, micromanage our children, and hover over the home. But instead of just telling us how we are micromanagers, she gives ideas on how to set the atmosphere instead of dictate. The most profound part of the book for me was the section on faith. How letting go of control is ultimately about trusting God with all things. I have had such a hard time trusting throughout my mothering journey so this hit a nerve. I think many homeschool mothers find this a problem. We are trying to give our children a good education, keep them from spiritual, emotional, and physical danger--- all really controlling type behaviors but good intentions. Ultimately we have to trust and this is what this section of the book is about. Many circumstances are beyond our control and Karen offers many ideas on how to deal with these. For me, this book is one of those that I read again and again. If you have trouble releasing control (which can be a tiring thing to lug around), I suggest giving this book a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment