About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Introvert moms and homeschooling

There is a lot of talk of introverts who home school. If you are not sure if you are, try taking this online quiz. It really helps to know you.
I happen to be one of them and feel like if I would have known this about myself, I would have done more to nurture and guard time for being alone. I really think all of the busyness fed my depression to where it grew out of control. Studies indicate that introverts are more prone to depression. Now that I realize this, I guard my time like a sheepdog watching over his sheep.
Harley's Fans 12  Dog guarding sheep


  So, what can we do to nourish the need for quiet, alone time yet do the things we are called to do?

1. Set aside time for being alone daily even when you have babies. As an introvert, needing quiet and time alone to unwind, think, and just be is so vital. If we don’t get this, we are zapped. You may have to get creative to come up with ways to do so, but make it happen---everyday.

2. Stay home more. This can be hard if you have a lot of children and are homeschooling them. Balancing their need to be out and socialize with your need to be at home with little activity can be tricky. Try swapping with other families so maybe you could just drop off a few children and go back home.

3. Spend time with your spouse. Many introverts crave personal time with just one person. Who better than the one you are married to?

4. Let the guilt go. In the past, I felt a lot of guilt for using things like movies and outside time so that I could have time to do things for myself. Not anymore. I now realize how important it is to stay connected to myself and what I like to do. Use what you need to carve out that time.

5. Don’t do what you aren’t meant to do. If you find that the things above aren’t enough to fuel your introversion, it is ok to put your children in school. As I have grown to discover who I am and how I work, I realized that introversion fed my depression, and I didn’t do enough in the past to take care of my needs. This led to complete burnout for me, and I believe will take a lot of time alone for healing. That may not be the case for everyone. If you are just starting out or have been at it for awhile, trying the above things and more may be enough to nourish your personality and continue to home school. Only you know that.


  What ways do you foster your introversion and home school (or not)?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had realised this earlier too. I managed to get two of my four boys into school before I totally burned out, and the littlest is starting school this year. I hope to homeschool again but I must admit to being a little afraid in case I let my kids down again. This makes me sad. Hopefully, as you allude to, we can recover from this and if we want, return to homeschooling while taking better care of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I guess, introvert homeschool moms will later on learn how to deal with the issues she's facing. We just probably need to tell ourselves that this will soon pay off. Big decision that requires time, effort and money upfront to ensure that your children are getting the best education possible.

    Anne
    www.HomeschoolingOption.com

    ReplyDelete