About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Homeschooling pride

It's that time of year---we homeschoolers have seen it before:  winter blues, February crankies, wanna-be spring fever beating down our door...
I have been like a zapped power outage for a long time, unable to function well and do the job I thought I was meant to do.  After much prayer and introspection over the last few years, I realized I was no longer carrying the yolk I was meant to.  My burden was anything but light and easy. Slowly the Lord has shown me something very ugly about myself that I have been very reluctant to uncover--This has been about my pride.  My I’m-going-to-do-this-even-if-it-kills-me-pride.  My I’m-going-to-do-this-no-matter-what-pride. This-is-the-superior-choice-pride.

Oh, I was never that bold to say those things or even consciously think them, but the attitude was there trying to micromanage and creating a family idol image.

Surely I am not the only one who has suffered with this; after all, pride is the root of all evil. Here are a few questions to ask yourself and keep your pride in check.  Really ponder these because on the surface may seem not to apply but once you probe deeply, you may unearth a fossil of pride.

1. Is homeschooling about me?  Ultimately, homeschooling needs to be about what is best for the family.  It should not be something to stroke mom (or dads) ego or a measuring stick for our holiness.

2. Do I trust God to protect my children?  This was a doozy for me.  I have a difficult time trusting and coupled with my control freak nature, I stared this one in the face and reluctantly admitted that when it got down to it, I didn’t trust Him with my children.

3. Do I think I am in control of how my children turn out?  As a young mother, I thought homeschooling was some kind of insurance policy for holy kids but come to find out, the salesman ripped me off.

4. Do I think it is a sin if families choose other educational choices for their children?  I never would have admitted this one to myself, but I did tout a superior attitude about homeschooling and felt it was the only viable option for Christian families. 


 
Have you found pride to be a problem for you?  Share your thoughts on homeschooling pride. 
 

9 comments:

  1. I used to be in the homeschool is insurance camp. But now I've found new freedom, and my kids are doing just fine :) It was so tough to quit, but it has been God's best for our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gina for stopping by. You are right; it is tough to quit, but God is faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think number 1 applied to me but when I put 2 into school I realised that this is something I was doing and when it wasn't possible to "look good", the good I thought everyone else would admire, due to having a special needs child it really knocked me down. I am trying to step back a bit and look at what is best for my children, instead of what will make me look good. A slow process, but I am glad to be aware of it now.

    Best wishes
    Jen in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this. Very timely for me! I have pondered these questions over and over.

    #3 is very difficult for me because I am always blaming myself for whatever mistakes my children make. Our 20 yr. old has really tested us and has made some choices that my husband and I struggle with. I have always blamed myself....should have done this or could have done that.....I really struggle with my worth as a mom and I have found out recently, as a person. I am realizing some things about myself that aren't pretty but I am glad to be able to look at them so I can move forward and be the person God wants me to be.

    Thank you Lisa, you have given me much to ponder. I look forward to looking around on this blog

    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dina,

    I totally understand. I have a 20 year old son who has bipolar. I homeschooled him all the way through. I blamed myself for all of his problems for the longest time. Remember, Jesus was the best/perfect teacher and He lost one. Be kind to yourself. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh I agree beyond words! I don't think families should put themselves in a financial bind because of the principal of home schooling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear. I think this is a BIG problem in homeschooling circles, and I struggle with it as well! Thank you for the mindful questions- those will be good to revisit often so that we keep remembering that we're actually doing all if this for Him- not for ourselves...

    ReplyDelete