About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

It's official: Two more going to school

If you have been following along on this blog, you know I have been considering school for two more of my kids and finally made a decision to put them in after Christmas.  I feel so much at peace about this decision, and as soon as we finished up our last homeschool day before Christmas break, there was such relief and no sadness this time.  I really believe this will improve my relationship with these two children who do much better answering to someone else.  I am ready to just be their mom, although I will still teach them many things. 
So, I will now have 4 in school and 1 at home, a foot in both worlds.  It will be busy for sure.  I hope in the coming months to share what it is like having children in both school and homeschooling. 

2 comments:

  1. It was so nice finding this blog, since I am experiencing a similar situation. I have been a homeschooling mom for 7 years and I've loved it, at least with some of my children. My daughter did well with school work, but emotionally not so great. She needed something outside of school to fulfill her needs. My husband suggested school. I grieved at the thought of sending my child to school. I grieved for myself, too. I felt like a failure. We finally agreed to send her to a Catholic school after I read great advice somewhere that said homeschooling is not about me, but about what's best for my children.

    The school is wonderful. She not only always gets through her major subjects, even science and history, but she gets to do Spanish, art and music. Things that I never got around to because I had to teach 3 other children, take care of a baby and a toddler, clean the house, do the laundry, cook dinner, etc., etc. We've been so pleased with my daughter's 1st semester that our oldest son will be starting school after Christmas. I will still be homeschooling the next youngest children this year, but applications have already been submitted for them to go next year. I'm looking forward to homeschooling the younger kids for a little while longer. It will also be nice to just sit with my baby and preschooler and read and to stop looking at them as interruptions to our homeschooling. Homeschooling with a large family makes me feel like a "Jack of all trades, master of none. There are only so many hours in the day. I can either spend more time with my younger children, who desperately need it and come up short homeschooling my older children or I can do a stellar job homeschooling my oldest two and neglect my younger children. I always wondered why many of the mothers of large families only talked about their oldest 2 children when I knew they had many more. Now I understand. There are some mothers of large families that, at least from outward appearances, seem to do a great job with it all.

    Sorry for the rambling, but I feel so guilty now. I just couldn't wrap my head around how someone could homeschool and then just send their kids to school. I've met many many homeschoolers who have gone down that path and I didn't get it. I think it may be one of those things that can't be described to someone until they have been there themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. I didn't understand it either until I needed to send children to school. I know it is hard to not feel like a failure, feel guilty, etc. but try not to be so hard on yourself. You are doing the best you can for your family. Please share more.

      Delete