About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Getting a handle on homeschooling burnout: Spiritual needs

When life becomes overwhelming, I tend to shove my spiritual needs into a corner like the oft-forgotten pj's my kids leave in the bathroom each morning. And just as they need a reminder AGAIN to pick them up, so too do I need a reminder not to forget to tend those needs most vital to my well-being. I know that prayer is food for my soul, and it must be fed lest it die or malfunction. But why is it so hard to attend those needs? Maybe it isn't for you, dear mother, but I find that in the busyness of life I have a hard time slowing down and being still. Maybe it's my over-achieving, addicted to productivity self or maybe it is because I may have to face something I don't want to, but in any case, I find it hard. Mornings find me groggy yet this is the best time when my house is quiet. Later in the day, I find that with the bustle of activity, the day can get away from me, and I have only managed a desperate plea for help thrown up to go during a fit of frenzy. Part of the problem for me, I believe, is a fear of being still and quiet and an endless search for the answer anywhere but in prayer. Because often times, I don't like what I hear. Other times, I think He doesn't want to hear the same old thing from me---again. Logically, I know He wants to hear from me--- and from you. God longs for a relationship with us and is there anytime we need Him. He calls us to come to the well often ,and we should drink deeply. Find that time, sweet mama, if only brief snatches to refresh your weary soul. Partake in daily soul food.

No comments:

Post a Comment