About Rest for the Weary

I hope you will find this little spot a place of rest and refreshment for your soul. My intention is to build up women in the trenches of homeschooling. This includes veterans who are burned out and former homeschooling moms who have decided for one reason or another to put some or all of their children in school. Thanks for stopping by. Take a deep breath of refreshment for your weary soul.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Homeschooling

I have no fancy Church statements on the right to homeschool.  Most homeschoolers use the quotes from previous posts to support their right to homeschool. Simply stated parent are the primary and first educators of their children. 
I think homeschooling is a wonderful option for parents if they feel like they can handle it and/or feel the need.  I have homeschooled for 16 years, and my reasons for doing so have changed.  When I began, I homeschooled for educational and safety reasons.  Once I became involved in the traditionalist movement, my reasons switched to moral reasons.  I came to believe that it was the only way to transmit the faith to my children.  And now, after seeing and knowing some good Catholic families who have chosen a different route than homeschooling, I see things a bit differently.  I no longer see it as the only way. 
Also after becoming a traditionalist, I heard that many previous "methods" that I used in our homeschool were anti-Catholic. Things such as unschooling, Montessori, and Charlotte Mason methods were touted as evil.  Wanting to do things "right", I switched to a school at home program that made us miserable, all in the name of a good Catholic education.  Thankfully, we didn't keep that up for long and went back to our more relaxed style of schooling.  Homeschooling methods are very personal and one must weigh many factors into that decision.  There is no way right way to homeschool and no one Catholic way that will work for everyone. 

1 comment:

  1. Popping in to say hi...and I agree there is no one Catholic way to homeschool!

    ReplyDelete